Saturday 6 October 2012

My First Red Boots

Birondwa's First Red Boots
My First Red Boots were exactly like this pair
For some reason, one of the most enduring memories of my childhood is the day my dad came back home from Kampala with  two pairs of kid boots; a red pair and a blue pair. He gave the blue pair to my elder brother Muheiwe and the Red pair to me. I must have been 4 or 5 years old, but the excitement that followed that day has never left my back memory. 

They were kid size and they fit me up-to below the knees; I was real excited to dorn them. Must have slept in them that night.


I remember we shoved them on instantly and started walking the neighborhood, observing each step as we moved. We were amazed at the immunity they provided when we started kicking rough things on the way.


See, the reason I remember these boots is that my dad wasn't the kind of guy that bought gifts for kids - or anyone! I don't know how I had formed that opinion at 4, but this was some kind of change of mind on himself. I loved them. I think memory is  the first good thing we have.

No comments:

Stories