Friday 5 June 2009

The Concept of Self Definition.

It does take such a long time before you finally become the person you have always wanted to be, doesn't it? I am interested in what happens during the process of becoming it, which can be plenty of drama!

A person has to undergo lots of dissolving and shaking off egos to discover their true identity. Every person has got a deep-end which is the seed of his or her true self. Its imperative to find that impeccable character in you that enables us to outlast anything -whether it is a nuclear holocaust or an invitation to chat with God in the beautiful gardens of His heaven.

But I get the nagging feeling sometimes, that I am not being absolutely myself when I do or say certain things -we all do, I know that. There are times we mask ourselves in identities that are no even close.

Yet there is a character in every human being that doesn't pretend or call upon external entities. It doesn't need to be different,or better, or go beyond your personal reach. It is just you - all the portraits you picked up in the life circles you've been discarded. Portrayals which created distortions about yourself. It is you -strong, good enough!

I value this kind of me very much, that is why I've set it a goal to find him: to find me! I want to find the me that is humble about my own convictions, that respects the world's diversity, that has no illusions, that has no superiority or inferiority complexes.

I want to drop all false portrayals I picked on the way, because I've grown strong enough to discard it. Why shouldn't I be myself? Some one tells me its in the belief that the self will always be “little” unless corrected by external forces of virtue. This notion can make you feel inadequate to live your own life, creating guilt about the distance between who you are and who you're supposed to be, leaving you exhausted as you labor to close the gap.

People who have discovered themselves do not scramble or gamble toward some prize. They accept the treasure of their true self they already possess. Being great is not a goal to be achieved! It is rather a gift, to be received.

So, I am shutting out all voices “out there” calling me to become something I am not, and welcoming a voice “in here” calling me to be the person I was born, to fulfill the original self hood given me at birth by God.

It is strange. Trying to become yourself, accepting and living happy with it, turns out to be even more demanding than attempting to become someone else. So for now, am striking between the universal tendency to want to be someone else and the ultimate importance of becoming myself:

.... to be continued

No comments:

Stories