Saturday 18 November 2017

Writing: Why Do It

At some point Social Media overtook movies, in terms of being interesting, and so I reverted my time, unknowingly to social media - Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc. Reading people's statuses, watching clips, writing my own status, its really a handful, if you try and do it across a few platforms. There is nothing as wrong as putting a movie on, and then minimizing it to check Facebook - that will be the end of it! A guy who used to live for watching movies, even transfinite, now finds himself watching half, then quarter a movie and jumping to Social. Even as I wrote this, a movie is in pause (for the last few hours) as I scavenged social media.

Anyway, I'm putting context to this post. At the bottom of all this myriad, one is in
constant search of order. You want to have order, organisation. You want activities to follow each other logically, create an itinerary to what you want to do, and have your time to be maximally used. Why, so that you can be clear to others, be efficient. In recent years efficiency doesn't just mean personal time, it has increasingly become of resources use, vis-a-vis the environment, where by you have to be conscious of your impact to the environment. Still on context...

So we must pick a few things that we love and want to do, and then do them the best we can and in best coordination with the environment. There is too much information out there. And more is to come. As more people become connected, they become producers of original information, and we're all amazed at each post. 

Is there a role for structured writers? What about expertise? Since everyone is putting stuff out, by stuff I mean - status, photo, video, animations, gifs, and lets not talk about marketing. Is there order to this. It would seem like, for someone looking for order, delving into all of this is the wrong criteria. But is it? Can you create order to what you don't know. 

Order is a mind thing. You create order in the mind first, before arranging things or thoughts in a way that makes better sense physically. 

I do believe that the highest forms of being organised is being a writer - a good one. I have tried for years to organise my mind upto a level that, I would have a logical flow of thoughts. It hasn't happened. I dream of one day authoring at-least one book that makes sense, and yet what to write about totally desserts me. Whenever I ponder that, its like I become totally useless. Its like I know nothing. All things to write about vanish. So how can I want to author something, and yet at the same time have nothing in the head to write extensively, meaningfully, interestingly about. I don't know. I read an essay on a writer's masterclass, and it said "do not write sentences, write stories". In that my book would be a collection of short stories! A children' book perhaps.

Anyway, writing is fun, but getting your thoughts to be detailed enough is one heck of a task -one I'm constantly in the mechanical shop for.






No comments:

Stories