Wednesday 11 February 2009

Shedding off my culture, or Not!

The Bahima culture still holds me hostage to its most informal types on a number of foods, which, apparently, I cannot  eat because something bad might happen to the cows back home. Okay -I don't exactly believe anything can happen to the cows due to my eating these foods, but still i don't eat them, so i don't know why i dont eat them.
Most Ankole mythical explanations always end with talk about what might happen to the cows!

But that is all history for me, my friend. What I've been eating in the just concluded week has reversed all that history of preservation and am happy to announce that you can now count me as equals in the no-foods-barred community. If you mash up anything and make it look like cherry fries, I'll gobble it!

It started at Protea hotel Kampala on 5th Feb, during the function of the exhibition of the software projects [we'd been doing at National Software Incubation Center] to the media and public. During cocktail time at sun down, a nice maid was passing yummy looking, brown fries around. When she reached by, i picked two of the niceties, and, without asking, shoved the
top end off one in my mouth and chewed into it, shutting my eyes for a sec to get at it properly.
I was about to shove up the next half, when the bite from the last chunk returned some unfamiliar after taste in my mouth. That's when i asked!
The pretty maid gave me the good news that I'd just downed a fish finger! I didn't want to put on the betrayed look to alarm friends, so I nodded my approvals and kutamirad the last of it, nodding nicely like this was my favorite! That is how I ate my first thing off a fish!

Later on Friday same week, I arranged with a friend in a face book chat, to do a pizza and tea after work at either Nandos or Dominos to catch up on recent events.
She got at Dominos before me and called to ask if she should make the order, since the pizza would take some time to come on the table- I said yes!
When I got there, a few minutes the pizza arrived, looking yummy and big and hot and all spiced up. On impulse I took a slice off and sunk my front teeth into it, yanking off a chunk you could imagine I'd been starving all day -in fact I was! Later on, into the talk and eating, well into my second slice, I noticed some thin cuts of a fresh looking thing! Very nice little cuts of an object covered in a little cheese and ingrdient.
Cathy narrated the good news that she'd ordered, among the toppings, a good supply of bacon on the top, which is like her ideal pizza. I said what? She also said what?..but you said I should order, and order I did...I didn't know you.." i will save you the story of how absolutely right she was. She asked why i didn't eat bacon when am not even a Muslim and I run short on explanations. I didn't consider narrating my cultural barrier stories to be an answer. So I finished the slice, without spoiling any toppings or crust, and picked up another one, and hammered it properly! That as how I ate my first pig.
Now, I assure you, there is no going back, esp on on pizza with the bacon toppings!

No comments:

Stories