Sunday 25 November 2007

While at Campus

What was constant at campus is that at the end of each day I flopped into bed feeling spent and I woke up each day eager to pick up from where I left off. Each day was just a day to get through. And the weekend was a time of recovery at aunt Julie's place with my cousins Cindy and Candy. I don’t mean to say that I was completely miserable campus. There certainly were things that ensured my life was far from being a hardship, like having teas at Gonja Cafe with Kabibi, earning some money from doing some computer projects, and having the constant stimulation of my friends and groups. And the simple satisfaction I gained from the Course itself, doing what I am good at, my situation there seems abysmal in retrospect.

How I managed to avoid people who could use money to have their courseworks and tests done, still astounds me now. Why did sttudents 'help' each other that way? Were a few thousand shillings really worth being a freak for? If I did not take the course seriously it might not bother me as much, but while I was there I set aside most personal time and put every ounce of effort into the work. I tried so hard to be professional, and those who have made it in their professions know how much preparation goes into a good grade.

I hope I can keep up with this hobby because I had a tendency of embracing new projects and forgetting all about old ones a few months down the line.

All our classes, till third year, were actually held in the students centre at the St. Francis chappel building. It is an amazing location near Lumumba and Marystuart halls of residence. The building has two layered floors and huge blue glass windows that allow natural air and light to stream in from all directions. The arrangement of the centre is carefully designed into two levels, one up and the other below, all facing the lecturer's platform. Equiped with a stereo system for the lecturer One never felt cramped as in other closed rooms. Later on a restauranter set up a food stall called Gonja Cafe outside the on ground floor and that became my hub for eating and discussions with friends. As for the faculty premises, most of the equipment you could possibly need for IT and Computer Science was there: computer labs withmost PC’s connected to the Internet and most progrms installed, large interactive white boards for practical sessions. It was amazing. So I was some how thrilled. Everything is working out nicely in Makerere. The course is just fantastic, every one of the lecturers I have had so far has been exceptional, and now that am finalising, my world couldn’t get much better.

No comments:

Stories