Friday 3 September 2010

The Kanyorozi subclan

The extensive family of Mr James Kanyorozi, my paternal grand father


I'm a nut when it comes to history -it gets be a bit excited to learn what happened before me. No wonder I scored a close B in history in high school. But thats beside the point, history presents us with the most profound lessons about life in time.
So I have finally modeled the first high level diagram of  how many children my grandfather, James Kanyorozi actually left behind. This question had eluded me for so long. My parents, uncles and unties have always given me different versions on this matter. So, after extensive research, this is the best big-picture view of the number of children James had in his lifetime.
The diagram is quite huge, you need to click on it to load in a new page to see it up-close and zoom. The first level shows the women with whom he had the children, and the children he had with them are listed just below each. I tried to figure out why this man went to this extent, yet he had an official wife, my grand mother (Janet Kakatoma); all those women and children? -cutting across tribes, which was abhorrent among Bahima at that time . It is incredible.
Then I learnt the story of his father, (i.e. my grand grand father), Rasto Karayegire Rubanonzya. But this story is for another time.

James Kanyorozi and Janet Kakatooma (pet name Kaaka) are my center of interest here. Kaaka's parents were called Yosiya Rwenyumiza(her dad) and Miriam Kikeikuru (her mom).
Kanyorozi's parents were called Rasto Karayegire Rubanonzya(his dad) and Gurumu, pet named Munywaniwangye(his mom).
Further more, aunt Sister told me the name of Rasto Karayegire's father; we're now talking grand grand grand father in respect to my generation. She said his name was Baranga. His origins were in Mpororo, a county in traditional Ankore homelands. He used to invoke the phrase, as most Bahima do, "Kihanga kya batoroga". Kihanga was a place in Mpororo, apparently where many of his livestock had died from an infectious disease. He had moved away from Mpororo greatly reduced in cattle numbers. I will definitely probe this further.
For now, I have only traced our history back up to Baranga. I will also find out who Karayegire's mother's name was and probe further on these lineages. But first, let me go to bed.

No comments:

Stories