Wednesday 19 October 2011

Away from the madding crowd

Away from the madding crowd, my thoughts are recollecting around one of my major interests. Being in a quiet room and writing, for hours. It has occurred to me lately, more than before, how important it is that I publish my family book. A book I haven't written. But it's all coming back to me -the people, history, the relationships, the places, the events and the words people have spoken.

I cannot put out of mind, one particular event, which might have aligned the stars; the passing on of my paternal grand mother, Janet Kakatooma. We called her by her pet name -Kaaka since we were born. I didnt even know her real name, until I started noising around asking questions and writing. She's one of the key women who influenced me.

A few months ago, we laid her to her final resting place at my family farm in Kyenkwanzi in August. 

What a sad day it was! But yet again, what a glorious day! On that day, I saw the passing of the great race. Very few knew the story of the woman who lay in that ornate casket. The people in our neighborhood had known her for only the ten years that she had moved here. Even I didn't have much interaction with her during the adventures of her youth, but I learn about who she was from what I found.

Kaaka belonged in the generation of my grandfather, James Kanyorozi, which I have come to understand and label as "the great race".
 

No comments:

Stories