Wednesday 11 July 2007

Infura z'abahima n'abatutsi!

Our family is blessed with a classic cultural-mix of two of the most photographic cultures in the East and Central Africa. The Hima, Abahima and the Tutsi, Abatutsi people. This is because my father married from both cultures.

Famous for their physical appearances and elaborate characteristics, such as being among the tallest people in Africa--and their aristocratic demeanor, this cultural mix is a combinations of strenghths, in my opinon. I'm a muhima for example, but I have batutsi half brothers and half sisters from another mother who is Tutsi.

So here is how this cultural mix come about. Some members of the Kanyorozi family, which is described on this blog  in detail in the article title "The Kanyorozi Subclan", who are native Bahima, married outside their tribal confines into the Batutsi. To begin with, Mugyenyi Samuel, my dad, married Joyce Gahongaire from the Kyereti family, an arm of the Gatondwes, a big extended family of Tutsis whom I cant trace the time they first came into Uganda but who lived in many parts of Uganda, at some point in the same village with us. But some of this family has since been relocating to Rwanda after 1994.

Another example is aunt Busingye Juliet, who married Magyezi, whose history I will feature later on. The mix has given rise to stunners, especially girls who are, in my opinion, the most photographic creatures in the family history.

At this rate, the number of mixed siblings is about to overtake the unmixed ones, looking from the extended family scale. This is a unique development to this generations.

(under construction)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up. It is interesting to see someone interested in his history...I'm from Burundi and I understand what you mean. Myself I'm from Bahima clan which is one of the clans that form the Batutsi group.

Stories